- Established on August 10, 2000 Open University Malaysia (OUM) is the seventh private university in Malaysia.OUM leverages on the quality, prestige and capabilities of its owners - a consortium of the 11 Malaysian public universities. Striving on its motto of a “University for All” OUM subscribes to the philosophy that education should be made available to all, regardless of time, place and age.
- OUM programmes are designed by experts from the industry, academia and professional bodies and are approved by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA), formerly known as National Accreditation Board (LAN).
- International Institute of Health sciences (IIHS) Sri Lanka’s premier healthcare training institute & one of the International centers of Open University of Malaysia collaborating with Open University of Malaysia provides access to the Sri Lankan Nurses to get up to date knowledge and skills in nursing by introducing following course with the view of uplifting the “Nursing” as a profession of Sri Lanka and to keep our Nursing profession in par with the international level.
Qualifications awarded by the Open University of Malaysia are recognized worldwide.
University Grants Commission-Sri Lanka Notice:
The public is hereby informed that the University Grants Commission recognizes foreign Universities/Higher Educational Institutes based on international acceptance. Universities/Higher Educational Institutes that are listed in the following International Publications which are authentic sources of information on Universities and Higher Educational Institutes in different countries are recognized at present;
Open University of Malaysia is listed in the International Handbook of Universities. Thus all the qualification offered by OUM is recognized by the UGC. In order to see the listing of Open University of Malaysia under International Handbook of Universities please logo on to below link & click on International Association of Universities under International Hand Book of Universities.
Source: http://www.ugc.ac.lk as at 6th Feb 2012.
Master of Nursing (MN) (KA10238) – 2 Years. Work & Study
The School of Nursing aims to diversify the nursing programmed so as to be competitive in nursing education. Nursing education has recently become increasingly prominent for aspiring candidate of higher learning & there is an urgent need to fill up the vacuum in the nursing profession with the higher academic qualification.
- To upgrade knowledge, skills and competency of registered nurses.
- To produce clinically efficient graduates.
- To cater to the increasing demands for specialized nurses in six (6) critical clinical areas i.e. Trauma and Emergency Nursing, Critical Care Nursing, Paediatrics Nursing, Mental Health Nursing, Oncology Nursing and Renal Nursing.
Core Courses –Year 1
Core Courses- Year 2
- Clinical Decision Making
- Healthcare Management
- Hospital Administration
- Nursing Models & Development
- Research Methodology
- Trends & Issues in Nursing
- Advance Nursing Leadership & Management
- Nursing Research Proposal
- Reflection in Nursing
- Research Project paper
- Statistical Analysis
- Transcultural in Nursing
Potential Career opportunities
Hospital CEO, Nursing Researcher, Unit In-Charge, University Lecturer, Health Administrator, Public Health Policy Maker
OUM Teaching/Learning Methodology
- Face to Face Interaction
Lectures are conducted at IIHS (International Center of OUM), 3 to 4 days per month according to a flexible learning schedule.
- Self Managed Learning
Where learners study independently according to their time availability
- Printed modules
- Electronic Reading Materials / CD-ROM
Electronic communication tools such as e-mail, Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) are provided to facilitate interaction among learners, tutors and facilitators.
Students can download the course content and support materials from MyLMS / Digital Library
- Application of theory from core and specialized subjects , at the hospital / institution where the students are working
- Specific Practicum is performing at selected hospitals under the Supervision & the clinical teaching by a Local Preceptor.
Recognized Bachelor of Nursing program.
- Scholarships are granted for Bachelor (hons) Nursing science program based on the Merits achieved in the Diploma level.
- For Master of Nursing science scholarships are awarded by considering the Merits achieved in the Bachelors level.
Our Institute can assist registered students in applying for study loans from leading banks in Sri Lanka.
OUM International Centers
Ghana - Accra Institute of Technology
Hungary- Eszterh’zy K’roly F’iskola
Bahrain-Arab Open University Bahrain
Maldives- Villa College
Yemen- University of Science and Technology
Sri Lanka- International Institute of Health Sciences
Vietnam- HCMC University of Technology (HUTECH)
Appling for the Courses
Intakes- January, May & September
Documents Needed for Registration
- Copy of the NIC
- Copy of the Bachelor of Nursing Certificate & the Transcript
- Copies of G.C.E O/L & A/L Certificate
- Letter of employment
All the Document which are in other language should be translated to